There are many things to look for when choosing a wine cabinet for your home or business.
These are just a few.
How many bottles do you want to store? Make sure the wine cabinet is big enough not only for the bottles you currently have but for twice that amount… as your collection will grow once you have proper wine storage.
- Be sure that the niche size for the bottles in the cooler is large enough. Some coolers out there only allow room for an average size 750 bottle. If you have Pinots or larger odd shaped bottles, they may not fit. You want at least 3 3/4″ of space.
- Be sure you research the quality of the manufacturer. Make sure that you are purchasing a unit that will last.
- Check to see if your wine cooling unit also has humidity control.
- Depending on where you plan to place the cooler… you may want one with both cooling and heating capabilities.
- Look not only at function but style. Do you want a furniture look or something more refrigerator looking.
- Look at the warranty. Some manufacturers will pay for parts and labor for a specific period of time. Others only parts. Some will require their in house service people make all recommendations for service under their warranties. Others pay for in-house service through a network of technicians. Warranty time frames also vary.
Do you want metal or wood wine racks? Do you want individual niches or shelves? Do you want them stationary or rolling? This is a matter of personal choice and look.
- Are you planning on placing this in an open space or in a niche? How high are your ceilings? These things will determine if you can go with a rear venting unit, a top venting unit, or a front venting unit.
- Do you want a single temperature unit for storage or a multi-temperature unit for storage and drinking temps?
- Do you want a unit with a built in wine cooling system or a self-contained system? There are pros and cons to each.
- What is your price range? It is always better to spend a little more to get a quality unit than to go cheap and be disappointed when the unit is poor quality and does not last. Wine cabinets can range from $500-600 for a small inexpensive unit to $10,000-$12,000 or more for a large deluxe furniture model.
For additional help in choosing the best wine cabinet for you, call us at
Wine Cellar Specialists:
Dallas Texas: 972-454-0480
Chicago Illinois: 773-234-0112
Toll Free: 866-646-7089
The Importance Of Proper Wine Storage
Proper wine storage is something that all wine collectors should give importance to. It’s very common for people to store wine and end up throwing it away later because it turned bad as a result of poor storage. Wine is a beverage that requires proper storage in order to properly mature. There are many factors that contribute to the proper storage of wine and custom wine racks are just one of them.
Wine Racks And Their Different Types
Wine racks can be made from different kinds of materials. There are metal wine racks, plastic wine racks, wrought iron racks, and wooden wine racks such as these in Chicago, Illinois. Each material brings a different ambiance to your wine storage. Some can bring a natural and antique feel to wine rooms while some can bring a more modern look. It really depends on your personal preference.
Wooden Wine Racks – What Makes Them Better?
Compared to other custom wine racks, wooden racks are better because if you purchase ‘stackable racks’ or kits with extenders they can simply be stacked on top of each other or extended. This means that as your wine collection expands overtime, you will only need to purchase additional racks. You simply add or stack (provided you purchased the stackable racks) the additional racks on top of those that you already have.
In terms of durability, although they are not as strong as metal or iron wine racks, wooden wine racks are still very durable. What makes them better than metal or iron is that wood does not conduct heat. Of course, in a climate controlled room this doesn’t apply as the cooling unit will keep both metal and wood at the right temperature.
The ability to conduct heat can be a bad thing because this can damage your wines by raising their temperature and giving them a ‘cooked’ flavor. Wine is a very sensitive beverage which means it needs to be stored at the ideal temperature with little to no fluctuations. In fact, this is the reason why wine racks should be situated far from any heat source such as a stove or a furnace.
Are Wooden Custom Wine Racks Expensive?
Not necessarily. There are many factors that can contribute to the price of custom wine racks and one factor is the type of wood used. There are many different types of wood to choose from, for example there’s Mahogany, Redwood and Pine although Mahogany and Redwood are the most frequently used woods. Each wood type presents its own advantages and disadvantages. Some are obviously more expensive than others but you shouldn’t let price be a hindrance when choosing the best for your wines. Always choose quality over price.
Wine collecting is an interest that is slowly gaining popularity among wine consumers of different social classes. There are two reasons why most people venture into acquiring their own vintages: one is for profit as they can eventually sell their collection down the line, and second is passion for great tasting wines wherein having their own collection allows them to personally enjoy a nice bottle or share it with friends at any given time.
Whatever your purpose is, Wine Cellar SPecialists is here to help you along the way. Here are some tips we’ve gathered for you:
Storing a few bottles is a great way to kick off your collection as you can gradually increase the number of your vintages in the long run. Proper wine storage is of great importance to your wine collection as this can spell the difference between preserving the quality of your vintages and spoilage.
When deciding where to store your wine collection, you should take into account the three factors that can greatly influence the condition of your wines: light, temperature, and humidity.
Bright lights can interfere with the chemical compounds in wines which can alter its quality and taste; hence it is essential to store them in places where they are left untouched by the damaging effects of rays of light.
Temperature and humidity levels should be maintained at 50-55°F and within 60-75% respectively. In addition, keeping your wine in areas free of vibratory motion is a must since the slightest motion can have adverse effects on your wine. Storing your wine collection in an ideal environment ensures that your wine retains its excellent quality and at the same time keeps its label in pristine condition.
There are several options available for storing your wine collection. Converting your basement or garage into a wine cellar is one of them, and by installing a wine cellar cooling system in the room guarantees that the right temperature and humidity levels are maintained at all times.
If building a wine cellar in your home is not within your budget, then you can invest in a good quality wine cooler. Wine coolers have ample space to store quite a few wine bottles and it can mimic the ideal conditions required for proper wine storage.
Purchasing wine racks is another option. Wine racks are constructed out of wood, metal, or steel. They also come in a myriad of impressive designs that can certainly complement any kitchen or room in your household.
If you want a professional to look after your wine collection, then professional refrigeration is the best choice for you. A wine storage locker can be leased for your convenience and a wine expert is in charge of maintaining your wine bottles, for a price, of course.
The safety of your wine collection should also be taken into account. Keep in mind that the value of your wine increases as it ages, therefore it is imperative to take the necessary precautions for the safekeeping of your vintages. Having your bottles of wine insured is one way of doing that.
Should you decide to expand your wine collection, there are wine retailers and vineyards that often grant buyers a reduced price when acquiring wines in bulk. However, it is recommended that you try one bottle first or, better yet, check out wine reviews online before you make a big purchase.
Furthermore, visiting different vineyards and signing up for their mailing list will avail you of discounts in the future.